Kurt Christenson ** Timothy Mucci ** Johnny Gatts ** Brian Bannen ** Rick Lacy ** YOU!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sub*Text Saturday - 06/12/10

Hey everybody, just leeching a bit of internet from a neighbor so I can post up the best of the best when it comes to Lit, Flicks, Pics, & Vids.


First up is Augusten Burrough's:
DRY: a memior

In Dry, a follow-up to his shocking and hilarious childhood memoir, "Running with Scissors," Augusten Burroughs recounts his introduction into recovery from alcoholism.

"Squalor" is the only word that comes to Burroughs mind upon returning from rehab to his Manhattan apartment, "filled with empty Dewar's bottles, hundreds of empty Dewar's bottles. They cover all surfaces; the counters in the kitchen, the top of the refrigerator. They are under the table I use as a desk, dozens of them there, with a small clearing for my feet... And then I see them: fruit flies, hovering at the mouths of the bottles. They form dark clouds at the ceiling above the kitchen sink. And dead fruit flies cover everything, like dust."


Memoirs usually aren't my bag, and I've avoided any books the likes of Sedaris, but someone told me to read this and so I did. I never enjoyed drinking a beer so much as after I finished this book. I appreciated alcohol like never before, because I knew I could handle it in moderation and not litter my apartment with 40 Dewar's bottles. Oddly, I read this just as my dad entered rehab for basically replacing his blood with Scotch. He apparently badgered the other "clients" with blunt honesty about their problems, ever the callous mechanic, with no bedside manner.

I didn't love it, but it's opened my eyes to more popular books of the day, and made me appreciate a nice solid read with a well structured and precise writer such as Augusten Burroughs.

***

THIS WILL BE THE MOST AMAZING THING YOU'LL WITNESS IN YOUR LIFETIME!

Yes, the greatest movie ever has officially been made. I present:
NORWEGIAN NINJA



You're welcome.

***

Storm's a-Comin' by Stu Horvath



***

I know I'm way late on this one, but my GOD do I love Hot Chip. I'd heard OF them, but someone from work suggested I check them out. I Googled and got this video, which I thought was real, up until Jesus Moby shoots lightning out of his mouth. Just watch.

HOT CHIP - 'I Feel Better'

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter dreamweaver
web counter html code